Tuesday, February 14, 2012

My Title

I should probably explain the title I chose for this blog. Back when I started my job in 1996, I was hired to be the school librarian for the high school and elementary buildings. I didn't know much about technology except how to make a simple web page with html code. The school  had about a total of 40 computers, all either in the elementary or high school computer labs. The machines were either Apple IIe's or IBM. The local network was 10-BaseT in one room only, if I remember correctly. The high school library also had a computer with a dial up connection to access the internet. We had about five different people who had their own specialty; one took care of the network and computers, two others took care of the Power Macs we got in 1997, one taught the students how to use the technology, and I took over the network-related issues.
This quickly snowballed into being in charge of the whole shebang as the other techie-type people moved on or retired. Thankfully, I had a lot of technology proficient folks to learn from over the years. I still don't know much about technology, but I know all the right people to call and am now the "technology coordinator" for the district. This is in addition to my library duties and the elementary library classes I teach. The majority of my time is spent fixing technology and related issues, but my heart is still with books, information, and kids, and getting them together. I love to see the kids get excited when we learn about a new database or try out a new interent searching skill. But I also am thrilled when the kids laugh at the funny parts in a book we read together or really relate to the characters in the story. Thus the blog title "technobrarian."

No comments:

Post a Comment